Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 year experience.
10949255

I have a 2004 gmc envoy 6cyl xl, and the driver side rear

Customer Question

Hi, i have a 2004 gmc envoy 6cyl xl, and the driver side rear passenger door will not open i have the replacement handle , but cannot get the door open to change and replace handle how can i open the door w/o damaging my vehicle?
Category: GMC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Gm Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I am Cam. Does the inside lock mechanism not work to unlock the door?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it does not

Ok so by the sound of it the latch mechanism is stuck. This is a pain as getting it to free up can be a pain and if we do not, then it could cause damage trying to get it loose. Does the inside lock mechanism at least feel like its working? If so, at the back edge of the door, push in slightly to take the pressure off the l watch. Lift up on the handle and with you open hand right over where the latch is, smack it REALLY HARD to try and jog the latch. You can also try using a block of wood wrapped in a rag then use a hammer on that LIGHTLY as not to damage your paint.