Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 year experience.
10949255

2006 gmc 2500hd dash board goes erratic while driving

Customer Question

2006 gmc 2500hd dash board goes erratic while driving normally radio goes on and off locks cycle gauges go on and off service 4whle drive appears in dic brake light comes on abs light comes on
when starting truck runs for 3 secs then shuts off often takes ten tries before it stays running throws numerous codes from each control module if i remove the air bag fuse it operates normally except for air bag light and no ouyside temp indication on mirror.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Gm Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.

HI there, I am Cam. Can I get your first name please?

How did you stumble on the Airbag fuse fixing the rest of the issues?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the symptoms resemble that of a faulty ignition switch. the procedure for replacement requires removal of the fuse after replacing the switch and before buttoning everything up i tried the switch and the truck started right up and ran without issues i completed the job and tried to start the truck it returned to the pre-ignition switch replacement state. i thought the only thing it could be was i had either pinched a wire during re-assembly or the fuse which i had left out during initial testing. i removed the fuse and the truck has run fine since. except of course the air bag will not deploy if called upon and no temp indication. i should also mention the air bag light has been on for some time and had thrown a B1000 code (failed internal self check or something).

OK, so if the Sdm (air bag module) is setting that code, it needs to be replaced. Its possible that it has issues that is killing the network. With that code confirmed, there is no diagnosis, replacement is the diagnosis. I suggest we verify that replacement fixes your other issue and if so, perfect. IF not lets follow up in here.