Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master, 30+ years exp. former shop owner/ manager
2947720

If there was oil instead of brake fluid would I have been

Customer Question

If there was oil instead of brake fluid would I have been able to drive 400+ miles before the brakes became spongy and failed?
Category: GMC
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I will be happy to assist you today.

.

Let me start by saying that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

.

Yes, actually the amount of miles that it is or was driven doesn't have a bearing on the braking system. However, any oil in the master cylinder will ruin every part in the hydraulics of the brakes.

.

All of the calipers and wheel cylinders, lines as well as the master cylinder have to be replaced. On vehicles with ABS the hydraulic assembly would also have to be relaced.

Hard to say if it is worth it for you but it will be very expensive and would not be worth putting into a vehicle that old, sorry.

.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer in a positive way, . EVEN IF YOU HAVE A SUBSCRIPTION ****THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID ****

Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

I can get the instructions for it and put it in a PDF file, (it is rather large) and send it to your email address for as little as is allowed.

.

You will just have to accept the additional service offer and ENTER your email address in the “ENTER CONTACT INFO” section so that I can see it, Thanks