Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GCM master tech over 25 years
19513769

I just purchased a 2001 Gmc Sierra SLT 2wd with only 40000

Customer Question

I just purchased a 2001 Gmc Sierra SLT 2wd with only 40000 miles from an estate sale. It's in pristine showroom condition. I was told that the original owner that bought it had almost every factory option installed.
The rear view mirror has onstar feature as well as compass and temp option. Behind the mirror and coming out from the headliner and stuck to the windshield is a small black box that looks like it may be a remote starter reciever.
I've done a bit if research online and found a few people mention that the remote start feature came standard with the SLT model.
I've also read that a few people accidently discovered the remote start feature by pressing buttons on the key fob. I've read that one person pressed the lock button 3 times to activate the remote start, another pressed the lock button just twice to activate it. I've tried these and a bunch of other combinations, but none have worked.
How can I tell if I have the factory remote start option on my truck?
Category: GMC
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry for the long wait

i have never seen a 2001 GMC truck with factory remote start systems the stock ones started @ 2007 and 2008 range

any of the early 2001 trucks with a remote starter where aftermarket or GM add on kits that the remotes were GM looking

but in a nut shell GM did not offer a remote starter in the 2001 trucks