Dr.Carz
Dr.Carz, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  12 years of exp. 10 with ford on my third with all other makes.Just love cars
35496794

I'm recently purched a 1988 GMC Sierra SLE c1500 pick up

Customer Question

Hello I'm recently purched a 1988 GMC Sierra SLE c1500 pick up truck and it starts and runs very good but it smokes whitish smoke out the exhaust and also smells strong,, any ideal what to check for? Thanks
Category: GMC
Expert:  Dr.Carz replied 1 year ago.

Based on the the year I can only guess the mileage the whitish smoke I feel would be some oil burning. Two things either the she burns a little to to wear and tear or the valve seals are allowing oil into the cylinder. Pretty heavy cloud on first start up if the seals are leaking. Could be anti-freeze but you say it runs well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for responding
Yes it runs good and Good engine compression, one of my friends told me the same thing about burning or mixing the oli and antifreeze but he is not a mechanic,, I really want to keep the truck as long a possible so what should I do to stop this from getting worse?
Expert:  Dr.Carz replied 1 year ago.

how many miles? which engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
220,550 5.7L
Expert:  Dr.Carz replied 1 year ago.

I would say based on mileage that if has not been done incorporate the intake lower gasket into the valve seal replacement. I would basically reseal the upper end minus head gaskets. VALVE COVER GASKETS, INTAKE LOWER SET, T-STAT, PCV VALVE, PLUGS, WIRES, A/C DELCO CAP AND ROTOR, AND VALVE SEALS. The valve seals are the highest level of replacement time and proper tools with care must be taken to prevent the valve falling into the cylinder, not a job for the novice. If you are not prepared to do the seals then remove the heads and send them in for valve job and resurfacing they will come back new for about $400.00. little more time and parts. Hope this helds thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great info thanks ***** go into a shop what should I tell them I need done and how much should it cost me? Ballpark figure?
Expert:  Dr.Carz replied 1 year ago.

Say on the high end 10 hrs labor and 300 ish for parts. about $1000.00 at my shop.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ouch! Lol well is the vehicle going to break down if not done soon?
Expert:  Dr.Carz replied 1 year ago.

Nah man i'm sure your not gonna hurt that old girl tried and true the scrappers run them things into the ground round here just adding oil never changing lol. run some injector cleaner through her and use regular old 10w30 conventional oil and of course gas and you are good to go.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nice I thought so my buddy is tryna tell me I need it done or else but it a 88 GMC Pickup they don't make them like this no more LOL
Expert:  Dr.Carz replied 1 year ago.

Sure do not I am in N.Y. very few on the road here f***+/- salt eats them up but not for the salt they would be good for 500k.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hear you brother
Thanks a mill my man
Expert:  Dr.Carz replied 1 year ago.

Any time and thank you please accept for my time. Thank you again.

Expert:  Dr.Carz replied 1 year ago.

I like to think that I have been a service and would like to be compensated the accept key does this. This is a honer system.

Expert:  Dr.Carz replied 1 year ago.

Sorry very sorry they put this very small box i have to check way at the bottom for you to rate me