Pete, GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM training and dealer tech for 14+ years. Diagnostics
14928985

2003 GMC sierra 2500 ext cab with 209000 miles on it.

Customer Question

2003 GMC sierra 2500 ext cab with 209000 miles on it. Recently purchased from a friend who stated the truck has run fine without issue, I also drove the truck for ~500 miles without issue, it idles perfectly. Driving on a road trip from texas to nebraska the truck stops running in pauls valley OK. Pulled over and after coming to a stop I attempted to start the truck, it runs for about 2 seconds then dies again, i can do this happens repeatedly. I need to get the truck running ASAP. I have eliminated the alternator / battery, the car starts fine and electrical system works okay. Was planning on going to orelly's and getting a compression tester, plug and wire set. Any other ideas? The 2 seconds it does run its rough and when I tried to give it gas the pedal had no effect. Looking for common problems that may gives issues like, things to try in case the plugs / wires dont work.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

One of the biggest issues to cause this fault here is the fuel pump not supplying enough fuel pressure or fuel volume or the fuel filter being restricted.If you have not had the fuel system tested this needs done.If there is a fuel pressure/fuel volume fault the pump is the most common cause.If the fuel filter has not been replaced at all in the last year or 15,000 miles this needs done.

If you need help on how to test the fuel system let me know and I can post it here.

If the fuel system is o.k. look for a flashing theft/security light on the dash after you crank the vehicle and it starts and stalls.It may look like a picture with a lock across it.If you have this flashing on the dash this indicates a security component at fault and you would need to have the fault codes checked in all computers to see what codes are set then those codes diagnosed and repaired.Most common is the electronic ignition switch at fault or possibly the BCM (body control module) needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.