Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 year experience.
10949255

I do not have a warning chime if my seat belt is not buckled

Customer Question

I do not have a warning chime if my seat belt is not buckled on my 1997 GMC Savana van. The red seat belt icon in the instrument cluster is the only reminder that I get, but I am not always paying attention to this. Does this year come with an audible chime, if so how so I get it activated . I cannot afford anymore tickets.
Category: GMC
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 1 year ago.

Hello. There should be an audible seat belt alarm for your van. It is part of the multi function alarm module. Do you get any audible alerts if you leave your head lights on when exiting the van? or when you put your key in the ignition?

I have to get going for the night. I will check messages first thing in the morning.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is an audible alarm if the keys are left in the ignition or the headlights are left on. I will double check that function in a couple of hours and get back to you an about 5 hours. I am desperate for an audible alarm. After getting a second ticket, I am very aware of the benefits of a seat belt, but I also know that unless there is an audible alarm, it is almost impossible to have that seat belt buckled 100% of the time when you are getting in and out of your vehicle many times a day. I have looked for an after market device, but without luck. The only warning device I can see is the little seat belt icon in the instrument cluster, but even that goes off after awhile, and is hugely ineffective

I understand your frustration. According to the manual, there is an audible tone for the seat belt indicator. In the interior fuse panel, fuse number 5 is the fuse for the multifunction alarm module, so if that fuse is blown or removed your seat belt alarm wont make a noise.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is an audible tone for the keys in the ignition when the door is open, or when the headlights are on. There is no audible tone for the seat belt. I have the original 1997 Savana van owners manual. It says that fuse #5 is for the hazard lights and chime. The hazard blinkers work, but the chime does not for the seat. It also says that the chime module is controlled through fuse #4 which includes the instrument cluster. The cluster is illuminated and works fine. There does not appear to be a "multifunction alarm module".
Could it be linked to the airbags ? It is possible that they do not have a functioning fuse. I will check all of the fuses tomorrow and get back to you afterwards.
Thanks

Ok. That contradicts what my software says a little, but that's ok. It is possible that there is a bad fuse somewhere. I would definitely check all the fuses before going any further. I would bet that if the previous owner wanted to disable the seat belt warning, they either disconnected the wire at the seat belt receiver, or pulled a fuse. According to what I have, it should be fuse 5.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Brian, I have check all of the fuses, and all were sound except the cigarette lighter which I replaced.Are you 100% certain that the 1997 Savana had a seat belt chime ?
I am well aware of the alarm "tone" with the ignition key and headlights but cannot remember the chime with the seat belt.
The connection under the seat with the wires is solid.

Honestly, I do not think that it does have chime, however I dont have access to one at the moment to compare so I was just going by what my shop management software was indicating. My shop management software indicates that it does have chime, and that it is part of the multifunction alarm module powered by fuse 5. I was honestly a little surprised to read that, since I did not believe that it had a seat belt chime. I have spotted discrepancies in that software in the past, although rare. I didn't want to tell you that it did not have a chime when alldata indicated that it did. I am definitely thinking now more than before that it does not in fact have chime.

When you plug your seat belt in, does the little red warning indicator go out?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the indicator will go out when plugged in. It also seems to go out on its own after a while. Can the chime module be swapped out with another one that will function ?
Is there any way for me to find out for sure if this particular year had a chime with the seat belt ?I really do need to get it functioning

I am going to opt out in case someone else here knows with 100% certainty whether or not this came with an audible warning since I can not say that I am positive one way or the other. If it did, and there was a simple way of disabling it that a lot of people did then I am not aware of it, but someone here may know and be able to guide you in the right direction.