Chris (aka-Moose), GMC Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

We have a Chevy dura max automatic 1 ton truck. We are

Customer Question

We have a Chevy dura max automatic 1 ton truck. We are traveling pulling a horse trailer. Had the emissions light on and there was no line under the "D" for drive. Somewhat poor performance with this. Stopped for gas and to check the gas cap and then when we restarted the truck we no longer had the emission light on and we had the line under the D for drive that was blinking, but then when we shifted into gear we got a warning "shift inhibited select N to reset and were unable to get the truck to go forward after resting it. Shut if off with the same results and eventually we went back to the same as we were in the beginning with the emissions light on and no line under the D, but now we are able to move. Seems as if the computer is totally screwed up, suggestions?
Category: GMC
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome I'm Chris aka Moose

The PCM computer has detected so far what appears to be a transmission issue and is warning you with the light issues you are seeing. Driving it this way can be causing more damage. Is there any way you can get it scanned and get back with me on the codes. The limited current info is pointing me most in the direction of the range sensor which tells the computer which gear you have selected. Meaning you have shifted to drive and are wanting automatic up shifts but the computer is getting a signal that you have selected a different gear even though the manual valve is in the drive position.

-----------About me and Just Answer------------

I am in my upper 30's, have a wife and 2 sons. I farm, fish, hunt, build, and coach youth soccer. I work on anything with an engine, been to many schools and classes through my 12 years with the dealership to get trained and certified. I try the best I can to share what I know and or have access to with my customers. Please consider I base my questions and answers to you, solely on the information you give me since I am not there to see, smell, hear, touch, or test. I try my best to be here everyday starting at 3pm central. Rating an answer is required. Please let me know if your not pleased prior to rating or if you cannot rate me so I can try to help a different way. God Bless and have a great day.

Thanks Chris