Randall
Randall, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 32 Years Diagnostic and repair,Electrical specialist
13677702

What causes the gear shift to lock up that I can't shift it

Customer Question

what causes the gear shift to lock up that I can't shift it out of park on my 2008 silverador
Category: GMC
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am Randall , did this just happen? anything lead up to this? engine size?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my switch have been hard to turn on. It got easier to turn on, then I started to having trouble out of the gear shift for about 2 weeks now I have a v8 engine.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

HUmm, not thinking switch related, could be, could be the lock tumbler but more common? the brake light switch, No, brake lighst may still work but there is another circuit in the brake light switch that activates the solenoid at the shifter to unlock it., May be brake light switch but,, with this information about hard turn tumbler? could be the lock/key tumbler. I am leaning more to the brake light switch

When you turn key to ON? if you listen carefully, when you hit the brakes you should hear a light click, That is the solenoid. Again, could? be tumbler. just more common is brake light switch, I inlcuded a link to a picture of it on the brake pedal bracket