Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

After replacing the wiper motor, how do I align the wiper

Customer Question

Customer: after replacing the wiper motor, how do I align the wiper motor and linkage on a saturn outlook so the wipers won't stop in middle of windshield or or travel down the cowl before cycling up? I've tried readjusting the arms many times and it must be how i connected the linkage to the motor.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: after installing the wiper arms and testing the wipers, when turned off, they rest in the middle of the windshield. so I readjusted the arms, then they would travel down toward the engine compartment before moving up across the window.
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $32) to post your type of question to GM Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Have you already removed the wiper arms and then run the motor and let it park (go all the way down), then shut the wiper motor and the car off and install the arms in the park position?

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

What year model of car do you have?

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Did you use a dealer replacement motor or aftermarket? I have heard of numerous mechanics using aftermarket motors on this model that don't park correctly, but they don't drop down into the cowl, they just stop in the middle of the windshield.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have. I did all of that, shut the power off and installed the arms in the park position. they went up when i turned but did not return to the down rest position when turned off. I believe the linkage was reinstalled in the wrong position if there is one.
2008 saturn outlook XR
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

You could test the new motor's park switch:

1. Verify the bellcrank on the wiper motor to transmission is not worn or damaged.

2. At the wiper motor, verify a good ground on the Black wire. If OK, backprobe the Yellow wire at pin 1.

3. The Yellow wire should have less than 0.20 volts at key on, engine off when the wipers are in the park position (low on the glass).

4. If the voltage is greater than 0.20 volts, replace the wiper motor assembly for a failed park switch.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will do thank u
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

I don't know if you could get it on there wrong. Here is a diagram on installing it if that helps.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to see if you need more help. Please don't forget to rate.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you need any additional information. Don't forget to rate (that's how we experts get paid).