Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 year experience.
10949255

Acadia with XM radio subscription shows "No XM signal"

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****
Acadia with XM radio subscription shows "No XM signal" message
They say its a factory radio issue
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: 2012 Acadia
Current XM radio subscription, has worked in the past
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to GMC Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Gm Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I am Cam. Sorry to take so long to get to your question. Can I get your first name please?

Was any diagnosis done with your vehicle to determine if its truly the XM module?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ricardo, no diagnosis has been made, xm service rep tried to refresh signal multiple times but was unsuccessfull, couldn't get it to work so decided it was a vehicle radio issue

Ricardo, we would be unwise to automatically go for the radio. Proper diagnosis must be done. The steps I would take are as follows..

First see if you can read the xm Id. If so, the radio is communications with the xm module. If not then it's possibly wiring or the xm radio.

If it does show the id, I would use a different antenna In place of the factory one and see what that does. If it works, replace the vehicle antenna. GM shops have a test antenna for just this.

If this does not work then because you may indeed have a head radio issue, but my bet is the xm antenna.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am able to see the radio ID, is the antenna the one in the roof in the back?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Need to add 2 clarifications:
1. The FM radio works fine, do XM and FM use the same antenna?
2. The garage door hit the rooftop antenna some time ago, maybe there is some damage that is causing this?

Sorry yes, that is the one on the roof. IT shares the On star antenna.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've checked the rooftop antenna and it appears it did not sustain any damage.
I will replace it regardless as per your recommendation and take it from there...

I would try only plugging in the new one, do not install. Then if for some reason it does not correct it, you can return it. IF it does, great. Please let me know if you need anything more from me. Directions for that are attached below.

Drop the rear of the headliner.

Then remove the bolt and unplug the connectors.