Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GMC N.A.I.S.E. Certified Auto-Mechanic
20625509

I have 12.8 volts at the battery but try to start and

Customer Question

I have 12.8 volts at the battery but try to start and nothing. just the beep beep of the key warning and a red battery light on the dash, nothing else.
windows do not work along with the turn signals, door locks , radio, and can not move gear shifter
vehicle is 2004 gmc envoy
Submitted: 1 year ago via TrueDelta.com.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Which sub-model is this and what engine?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Check these fuses, the IGN A fuse, the IGN E fuse and the Crank fuse all in the underhood fuse block.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

If the fuses are not named and have numbers instead they are 34, 22 and 17.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tested all fuses under the hood and they appear ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure what you me3an buy sub-model, but it is a 4200 inline 6 cyl
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

What do you mean "appear"? If you actually tested them then you would know. If you only looked to see if they were blown, test them.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

is it an XL, XUV or no?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will test them with an Ohhm meter
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

use a voltmeter and test the fuse while it's in it's spot and check both sides of the fuse, that is how you test both if the fuse has voltage to it and the fuse is ok and has voltage leaving it.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

There should be no need to pull any fuses right now. If you don't have a voltmeter and 12 volt test light will also work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all 3 fuses test ok on 2 different test meters
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I am going to give you a wiring diagram. Then I will guide you trough what to test next.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

First off, hold you finger on the starter relay, #47 in the underhood fuse block and have someone turn the key to start. Can you feel the relay click?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

If not, remove that relay and test all the spots in the socket for voltage (12 volts). One spot should be hot all the time and then an additional hot when the key is turned to start. Is that confirmed?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Actually the second test will be hot with the key on start and run, so check both

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

If the relay clicked and both spots are hot when I said, try a new relay and if that don't fix it we will test more.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

I have to ask, when you tested those fuses, you had to have the key on run to test fuse 22 and the key on start to test fuse 17. did you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry for the delay had to wait for the wife. starter relay does nothing 17 and 22 were tested and nothing. 17 and 22 both tested with the small contacts and ohm shows ok but the does not seem to be power to either side of both fuses
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the vehicle is a nitheng model with cruise, windows , locks , air, and rear wiper which is also not working now
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

That is exactly why you should be using a voltmeter or at least a 12 volt test light when checking fuses. An ohmmeter will only show you if the fuse is blown or not, it won't show you if the fuse has voltage to it and nowadays some fuses are fed by other fuses so it is a must to check for voltage.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

What is a "nitheng" model?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

When you checked for voltage to fuses 17 and 22 did you have the key on run or start?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry for the bad spelling.... nothing. The mouldings and doors and fenders have nothing on them but envoy
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Fuse 34 is hot all the time, fuse 17 is hot with the key on start and fuse 22 with the key on run or start.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Forget the sub-model, all of the wiring diagrams are most likely the same. Plus I did look it up for just the plain ole 4.2, no XL or XUV.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry but my computer droped you and it took a while for meto find you again .I am still at a loss as both the 22 and17 fuse do not have any power .
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

did you have the key on run or start when testing fuses 22 and 17?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

The IGN A fuse feeds the crank #17 fuse. I don't recall you telling me the results of testing that fuse IGN A fuse.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Here is that wiring diagram showing how the IGN A fuse feeds the ignition switch and eventually that crank #17 fuse.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Here

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

That fuse 22 is fed from the IGN B fuse #36 in the underhood fuse block.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

And here are those wiring diagrams,

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Are we done?