t-fran21
t-fran21, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM Master Tech
10186415

2005 GMC Envoy Denali 5.3, Was driving down ghway when motor

Customer Question

2005 GMC Envoy Denali 5.3, Was driving down highway when motor shut off. Barely made it to side of road. Tried to restart, turned over a few time but never ran. Now when try to start it does nothing. Lights and all chimes work when key is turned to run. Volt gauge says 12 volts. Replaced ignition start switch and still nothing. What could it be?
Category: GMC
Expert:  t-fran21 replied 1 year ago.

If the engine turn over strong but want start you need to check for codes first, if there are no codes more tha. Likely the problem is fuel related such as a bad fuel pump, either check the fuel pressure (should read 55-60) or spray a choke spray in the throttle body or brake booster hose, if it runs then the problem is fuel pump or fuel injectors not turning on. I hope this helps, please give a positive rating and reply back any other questions. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Engine does NOT turn over.
Expert:  t-fran21 replied 1 year ago.

I see give me About 30 min to look at a schematic of your starting system.

Expert:  t-fran21 replied 1 year ago.

It would be easier if we talked live and you had a voltmeter and test light handy. First make sure your battery is good. Have someone turn the key to the start position, check for power on fuse IGN E, IGN A, and crank fuse. Let me know the results

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tristan. So turns out the starter was bad and thats why it wouldnt crank. Got that fixed and it started right up. Drove it about and hour and the motor died again. Would crank but would not run. Borrowed a friends code reader and found following codes- P0122, P0463, P0443, P0689, P1516, P1682, P2176, P0446, P0446 and P0223. The vehicle will start and run after setting for a couple of hours.The fuel gauge hasn't been working for a while so I'm sure thats what a few of the codes are from. This is my cousins car and she's kinda down on hard times right now and can't afford to take to a dealership or a garage. I'm trying my best to help her out with the situation. Any help is MUCH appreciated.