Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Master Mechanic
Experience:  Over 35 years experience on GMC vehicles.
2617050

I have a Gmc c5500 bus and the brake lights are not working.

Customer Question

i have a Gmc c5500 bus and the brake lights are not working. checked all fuses and relays. seem to be good turn signals work.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.

Can you look under the dash and near the top of the brake pedal is the brake light switch. Look to be sure the wire connection is still connected. Sometimes it comes unplugged. If its still connected then the switch is the most likely cause. We replace quite a few of them.

Let me know if you need more.

LJ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah it's plugged in and I am getting voltage though all the wires except the last two, one is a brown and the other is a black with a white stripe, the electric brake booster kicks in so I am assuming it is working properly.

Be right back

Ok, take a piece of wire or a paper clip and with the switch unplugged, jumper the wire with power, to the brown wire and see if the brake lights come on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope still nothing

I dont have the wiring diagram in front of me and i thought it was the brown wire that completes the circuit to the brake lights but try jumpering the black/white wire with the power wire and see what you get. Have someone back to look at the lights and just touch the jumper for a second and see if they come on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope nothing

Darn, thats about as far as i can go without a wiring diagram so i will opt out and see if someone else can help. Best wishes!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you

you bet.