Chris (aka-Moose), GMC Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a 2004 Duramax 3/4 .. My low Coolant indicator came

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Duramax 3/4 ..
My low Coolant indicator came on..no over heating was indicated on the gauge..
Took it to the radiator shop and the cooling system pressure check was good..
At the same time, my truck was running rough and blowing excessive smoke etc...
Took it too the shop...injectors were changed and they said the water pumps was leaking...
They changed the water pump...about 300 miles after the repair, I again got a low coolant indicator again with no issues with over heating or signs of moisture in the exhaust...
I took the truck back and they said they would check the seals and do a dye test which could indicate a head gasket issue...
Is that the correct course of action to determine where the coolant is going..
Any suggestions...
Thanks,
Tim
Category: GMC
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.

The engine coolant has a few places it can go, and all but one can be ruled out easy. Into the transmission, engine oil and onto the ground. If its none of those then it has to be getting into the combustion chamber to be burnt off with the fuel and pushed out the exhaust. It takes alot of coolant loss into a cylinder to cause a misfire and smoke. A cylinder compression test is needed if the first 3 leak possibilities show no issues.

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Thanks Chris