Pete, GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM training and dealer tech for 14+ years. Diagnostics
14928985

I need help with brake lights not working on a 2001 gmc

Customer Question

i need help with brake lights not working on a 2001 gmc c6500
Category: GMC
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

My info is limited on your model here but I see no one else has responded and thought I would see if I can help here.

If this model has any trailer wiring on it check the trailer wiring for any electrical damage at all.I have seen in several cases before where shorted or damaged trailer wiring will cause this type of fault here needing repaired to correct this issue.If this has no trailer wiring or this was already checked and found to be o.k. let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it does have trailer wiring, so let me check that out
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,thats where I would start as this is usually most common.Check for any corrosion at or near the trailer plug and any inline connection harnesses as well.Make sure any ground to frame wires or body grounds are secure as well at the rear trailer wiring area.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that did not work, all wires seem to be find
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

If you turn the turn signal on and off while pressing on the brake pedal do the brake lights then work or try and work at all then?