Toolhut
Toolhut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles
77480539

I have a 2008 GMC acadia and the engine has started to shut

Customer Question

I have a 2008 GMC acadia and the engine has started to shut down on occasion while driving. the instrument panel reads traction control is off and the check engine light will come on. it takes about 2-3 minutes before you can restart the car. then the check engine light will go away
Category: GMC
Expert:  Toolhut replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating.

Have you had the codes read? Anytime there is a running problem it is likely that the traction off light will illuminate.

When the vehicle wont start what are the symptoms?

• Will the starter crank engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when the car goes dead, you can still restart the car. It just takes a couple minutes of sitting. when we had the code read by a mechanic, he said the code didn't make sense. called it a "sum" code.
Expert:  Toolhut replied 1 year ago.

When it won't start does the starter crank engine? Do you know code number?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the starter cranks engine. there was no code number. thats why the mechanic said it was strange.
Expert:  Toolhut replied 1 year ago.

I will assume he was using a code reader then.

Do you have a security light on dash?

Have you tried cycling the key a couple of times to see if that helps it start? If not turn key on, let set for 5 sec turn key off and attempt to start

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Starting it is not the issue. the car stalling and going dead while driving down the road is what I'm concerned with.
Expert:  Toolhut replied 1 year ago.

Do you have access to a scanner? When it quits going down road I need to know if it has rpm when cranking.