Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 year experience.
10949255

I have a 2005 GMC Sierra 1500 z71. When I put my truck in

Customer Question

I have a 2005 GMC Sierra 1500 z71. When I put my truck in 2WD(push button) it will run about 100yds then pop out of gear...I can run in auto(push button) no problem except when it seems to want to go to 4WD...Is this an adjustment that can be made?
Category: GMC
Expert:  Gm Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I am Cam. Do you get any codes or warnings on your dash?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
None

OK, What is the condition and colour of the transfer case fluid? I see 2 possible issues. First a failure of the shift fork inside the transfer case causing it to move out of gear. Putting it in 4wd changes the position of the gear making it work, or second and more likely is a failing of the encoder sensor in the transfer case shift motor. They are common for failing and can cause issues like this. Attached are directions to replace it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will have to check the color of the fluid tomorrow. ..what am I looking for as far the fluid goes?

Should be clean blue or red. If its shiny, that is an indication of internal issues. May be darker of those colours as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok...I'll check that tomorrow and get back to you....is the encoder readily available...I'll read the installation instructions you sent tonight...thanks so far...

Yes, if not in stock, available overnight from most dealers. Not sure about aftermarket options, but the dealer is valid.