Tims Auto Repair
Tims Auto Repair, GMC Mechanic
Experience:  have owned a repair shop for 25 years
14541291

I have a 91 Sonoma that won't start without starting fluid

Customer Question

I have a 91 Sonoma that won't start without starting fluid and then it runs fine - never misses a beat. My mechanic replaced the ignition coil,cap & rotor, fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator diaphragm, coolant temp sensor and injector. Nothing helped and he gave up. What could the problem be?
Category: GMC
Expert:  Tims Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you

this sounds as if you have a bad ignition module

what is going on is that the starter is pulling amps away from the bad ignition module

thus,killing the fuel injector pulse

it will still have a spark when they do this but the fuel injectors wont work while the starter is turning

this is why it will start with a prime

replace the ignition module

thanks

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.