Pete, GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM training and dealer tech for 14+ years. Diagnostics
14928985

1990 GMC Vandura 2500. New engine problem with check engine,

Customer Question

1990 GMC Vandura 2500. New engine problem with check engine, comes on when full acceleration, engine very noisy not getting enough air? After restart light is off until I need lots of power again. Any ideas?
Category: GMC
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.

One common component I have seen cause this here is the EGR valve itself or the EGR valve vacuum solenoid.I have had to replace both before.I have also seen issues with the oxygen sensors causing this fault as well needing replaced.

To check the fault codes connect a fuse jumper wire to a good ground point on the metal body or body component and ground the diagnostic terminal to see what the check engine light flashes for a code.In the link below you will see the diagnostic terminal as terminal B in the data link connector under the dash that needs grounded.Count the flashes of the check engine light and it will give you the code then post the code here.It may flash once then pause then flash one,two,three indicating code 13.This is how you would count the flashes then post the flashes here.I believe the key needs to be on when doing this to get the fault codes then post the codes you get here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have an appointment with the mech tomorrow, I believe the EGR solenoid did get changed also a new ox sensor (Delco) let you know what we found.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,there are several components that will cause this type of fault here when accelerating including timing components like a knock sensor or engine computer.I have also seen throttle body codes set for the idle air control motor or throttle position sensor.Let me know what they come up with here or what codes you get and we can continue if needed.

Thanks Pete