Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 year experience.
10949255

2007 gmc c4500 bucket truck

Customer Question

2007 gmc c4500 bucket truck
Category: GMC
Expert:  Gm Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I am cam. After clearing the codes, did the transmission react properly?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no it was still bad
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did notice when I discount the three battery neg posts then check engine and dome lights still stay on ,until I discounted all positive posts

Strange, there must be another battery there somewhere as this is a 12V system. The code P064C is for a voltage issue on the glow plug controller or glow plug lines. Have you done any diagnostics there yet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is no other batteries on truck ,just the three,do you have any wiring diagrams,smell something burnt in cab and would like to try to track down why gauges are inop and probably what melted,before I chase the codes,there is a generator on truck but it hasn't been used,so I don't understand why cel light and interior dome light would stay on with all neg battery terminals off

THats what concerns me. Its not a 24 volt system so this is VERY strange. I have schematics, but there are about 100 for this, so getting the system is vital. I will see if I can build a single document. I need to Vin to be sure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1gde4c1207f409453

Ok I am putting a document together.

Here you go.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you are u thinking ignition switch,looks like it powers up gauges and trans maybe that's what melted

It's worth a try, and they are common for failure. After that, it may take deeper diagnosis.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
YOU WERE CORRECT THERE IS ANOTHER BATTERY UNDERNEATH SORRY,STILL CANT FIND BURNT SMELL UNLESS ITS THE TRANS FLUID ,HOWEVER DONT KNOW WHY IS GET THOSE CODES AND THE DASH GAUGES GO OUT AFTER ALITTLE BIT,WHATS UR ADVISE ,STUCK HERE
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
TRANS DONT MOVE IN REVERSE STILL AND FEELS LIKE WRONG GEAR GOING FORWARD

What color is the transmission fluid them?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
DONT SEE A DIPSTICK WOULD HAVE TO TAKE SOME OUT,HOWEVER THATS NOT GOING TO CAUSE GAUGES TO STOP WORKING AND CEL LIGHT WITH THOSE CODES CORRECT

Not all, lets look into the ignition switch still. Pop the tilt lever out and take the lower trim of the column off. With your multimeter set to DC volts, place the red lead on the red wire. With the switch turned on, test the other leads with the black wire. Record the reading and let me know what those are. Repeat the test on the red/white wire. Let me know the results.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so truck has three batteries new,They are tied together with small battery cables on two of them the third battery when running is alittle under 12 volts,the other 2 batteries have 14. 6 volts,so I'm guessing the 3 rd battery is not connected to other two,and this is y I am getting low voltage codes for transmission...?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has two small cable jumpers on neg terminals ,connecting all three batteries together,but on poss. Side only has two batteries connected together

Where does the position of the third battery connect to?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Positive u mean
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My worker is telling me we just need a battery cable jumper to the third battery from the second and it'll charge it

Quick test then, see if using a jumper cable to connect the positives works. If so then I would make it happen. Be sure all batteries are confirmed by load test as good and the charging system is up to the task.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
put jumper on battery and is charging all three batteries,runs normal ,gauges seem to work,trans moves,all seems ok except when running and I turn on power button to run pto the truck shuts off

What does the battery voltage read with the meter when this happens? I am wondering if we have an issue with the ground or even charging system dragging the voltage down with the PTO on.