Dave Nova
Dave Nova, GMC Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

99 jimmy..power seat quit working..no movement. Have 4 wires

Customer Question

99 jimmy..power seat quit working..no movement. Have 4 wires black , orange , orange-black and another one. Black is groun . Orange is hot...but no power on the orange-black wire...is this normal?
Category: GMC
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

Hello sorry for the delay. I am checking the diagrams now.

Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

So looking over the diagram I can not see the 4 wire connector you are talking about , can you tell me what connector you are looking at ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is the main wire harness under the drivers seat..6 wires connector only 4 used going to seat
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

Ok thanks ! Does your seat have "memory "

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No..just 8 way plus lumbar
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

Ok perfect man! Thanks ! Back on the case :)

Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

Everything I'm seeing is a 8 pin connector. Old diagrams are horrible. I'm looking though. Can you upload some pics of what you are looking at and also the build date on the drivers door jamb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here it is
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

Ok and the build date on the drivers door ? And also confirm this is drivers seat ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
09 98
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Drivers seat
Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

Ok thanks.

Expert:  Lou P. replied 1 year ago.

I can't find anything that matches up. I'll have to opt out. Sorry for the delay.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will someone else answer my question?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

new expert here did you still need help ?

there is a black and an orange and an orange/black

what color is the 4th wire ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fourth wire I believe is for seat belt indicator green-black
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok with this seat just being 6 way power and NO memory or heated seats in it the orange/black wire is for heated seats which they wired these with the wiring for that potion so they did not have to make different harnesses

with 6 way power it it just the orange for 12 volts and the black a confirmed good ground

if those check out then make sure at the switch for the seat the orange is 12 and the black is a good ground if it shows good that the switch then when pushing the set forward and back button with a meter back probing terminals g and h

one meter lead to one terminal and other meter lead to other terminal it should show +12 volts pushing one way and -12 the other way

it works on reverse polarity switching the power and ground down those 2 wires to spin the motor in both directions so it will go back and forth

if that tests out good then the seat motor assembly would need to be changed

if it does NOT test out good then the odds are the switch is bad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i hooked the seat to 13.8 volt 20 amp source outside of car and it functions perfect.... it is not the switch or motors . when i put a meter on between orange and black wires i get 12.6 volts....black to orange/blk is 13.8 volts...I can run a test lamp which lights up for black to orange/blk, but does not for blk to orange.... what do you think???
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

run a temp ground to the black wire that shows nothing and see if it will work

from the sounds of this you have the correct power it sounds like that black is not a ground when it should be

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will check it out
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ground wire is not the problem.... seems to be a big voltage difference when using volt/ohm meter on the female plug from the main wiring harness(under the carpet
I get the following readings with the ignition on: black to orange (11.2 volts), black to orange with black stripe(14.2 volts), black to brown (14.2. volts). it would seem orange voltage is too low
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also orange wire in plug seems to come from back seat to the plug?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

Looks like previous expert has opted out. I will work with you to solve this. Connect your meter to the Orange and Black wires, take a voltage reading. Now operate any of the seat switches and take another reading. Does the voltage drop? If so, what is the reading you get?

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.