tripletauto
tripletauto, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  21 years experience ase master tech gm certified
15993919

My 2011 Yukon Denali front passenger door is stuck shut with

Customer Question

My 2011 Yukon Denali front passenger door is stuck shut with a fallen off door handle rod that I found at the bottom of the door. I've taken off and peeled back half of the door in which I could reach. I need help figuring out how to put this rod back in place and know if I'm going to have to either take my seat out or the right side of the dash board if at all possible so I can undo the last door panel tab on the left side
Category: GMC
Expert:  tripletauto replied 1 year ago.
Hello. So the rod from the outside door handle to latch has come off? With this rod off it should still open from inside handle. If not something is wrong with the latch. Removing the seat will make it easier to access the door. Try pulling up on lock rod and then opening from inside handle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I can't screw the rod back into the outside door handle until I can get the door handle off
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
could my door be jammed. It feels like it's not catching on to something. No click of the handle on the inside
If the outside rod is completely off it should still open from inside door handle. Yes the latch can jam and it is a job to get door open you will have to destroy the latch assembly. I would keep messing with the door lock and see if it releases.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Provide Diagrams, Manuals, or Instructions. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I need to take the inside door handle lock pin out and which wire can I mess with and it not break anything else??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If my glove compartment can come out then I can detach my whole door panel. I only lack taking off the tab next to the glovebox above my front speaker but I have no room to do so with the outside of my glovebox touching the outside door panel.
on the end of your dash is a cover the lip of glove box is under this. You will need to pry that back some to get it out.
I will take some pictures of mine and post them in a few minutes
it will not let me post a picture.I will figure out how to get a picture up here for you

This is with the cover removed

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I will try this. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How will I reinstall my rod if I'm able to get to it. I'm not sure exactly how it goes back in place but I know it's not broken.
It slides thru the outside door handle and there is a clip on the latch one end should look like threads. This end will push into a groove and a piece snaps over it. I will look at work tomorrow and see if I have a clip and post a picture.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thank you so much.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't see how my dash comes apart exactly like that. Hmmm??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
only the middle part of my door handle on the outside came off, the base part is still intact...

So the door handle came off on the outside? The rod is probably jammed down not allowing the lock to release. Can you get youe hand in th door on the latch? if so feel where the rod hooks on and open that clip to release the rod from latch.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the outside door handle is off, the inside handle is connected and the lock clicks up and down but the door still won't open. I luckily found the steel rod that came loose lying at the very bottom of the inside of the door. I can reach some things but it's all difficult with my door stuck shut.

There is no text book way to tell you how to fix this. I would try moving the latch where the rod should go on and see if it allows door lock to release. Otherwise the latch will need to be broken apart. This may involve removing window so you can get a long screwdriver down to it and break it apart.