Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

2006 gmc 3500 6.6 duramax We had two bad calipers so we

Customer Question

2006 gmc 3500 6.6 duramax We had two bad calipers so we changed them. Now we cant get the pedal to stiffen up when we bleed the brakes.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
Ok, the most common issue is installing the new calipers on the wrong sides - they fit either side but are actually side specific for correct bleeder screw replacement.
Look at the calipers you installed. Are the bleeder screws below or above the brake hose to caliper connection?
If they are below, then you have them on the wrong side. When the bleeders are below the connection, there is always an air bubble at top caliper that will never bleed out. Swap sides with the calipers and bleed them and you are good to go.
Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they are on correctly
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Does this have abs brakes - if so, have you bled with a tech2 scan tool yet?
Have you double checked for kinks or loops in the hoses, for caliper and/or brake pads being cocked at angle?
Have you done a brake hose clamp test to isolate area of concern?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I bled the and with a scan tool. Brakes seem hard with out engine on. When you start it the go down.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Ok, use either brake hose clamps or vise grips and lightly clamp each brake hose at the wheels about 1/2 up.
Now try the brake pedal with the engine idling - is it firm or going to the floor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i am hearing that you should never clamp a brake line as it will damage the line and could possibly cause an catastrophic brake failure.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
I have been doing it for over 30 years without issue. If you lightly clamp it, it is enough to stop the flow but not enough to damage the hose
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok we found a problem circuit. we have just replaced everything at this wheel except the brake hose so we are hoping that is it.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Ok, glad you found the area of concern and if you have any other questions, let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i will rate you as soon as i get that line on. thanks
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Ok, sounds good
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?
If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, we put all new brake lines on the truck as we did the clamp thing and isolated the problem to the rear drivers. the rear has ALL new hardware so we changed all of the brake lines. Now when the truck is off we have a good hard pedal. When we start the truck the pedal goes soft and goes almost to all the way to the floor. What could cause this?
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
and positive that there are no calipers with screw below the hose to caliper connection?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sir, I am a professional mechanic that was just looking for someone that had experience with this specific truck. The things you are asking me are rudimentary items and honestly, I would appreciate it if you would stop asking the same questions. I need someone that works on these truck a lot that has experience with the specific issue I have ie. spongy pedal. This is a known problem with this era of truck so if you don't have the experience I need please excuse yourself from this question and let another expert jump in. Thank you.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
I have seen ASE Master Techs with 20yrs experience make simple mistakes such as hanging the calipers on the wrong sides and take hours upon hours to figure it. I dont care how many years one has been in this business, we all make simple mistakes and then overlook them trying to correct. So I have to cover all the bases since I am not there to view your work.
But I will opt out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i understand you cant see what I do but you do need to trust that I have done them instead of asking the same question twice.