Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 year experience.
10949255

My a/c was low on freon fixed that twice. The light blinks

Customer Question

My a/c was low on freon fixed that twice. The light blinks several times but it goes off and stays that way. I leave it on in hope it will kick in but when I start or stop my car it makes a really bad noise . Like a major grind
Category: GMC
Expert:  Gm Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I am Cam. Can I get your first name please? The freon, after having that replaced, did it work for a bit?

The noise, does it happen only when starting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Judy. It helped a lil the first time but didn't help at all the second time. The noise is anytime I turn the air on and if I start or stop my car while it's on.

OK Judy, can you describe the noise for me?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Like a grind

It may be that your compressor is failing. This would explain the noise and the lose of freon. Is there any green dye or fluid around the compressor?

At any rate I think you may need service on that. Do you do the work yourself or are you taking it in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Our selves

Ok so look for the green dye. Second with the engine off, turn the outside plate of the compressor by hand. IT should be smooth turning then hit smooth resistance and go easy again. Can you do that?