Mike, Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I have been a Car/vehicle mechanic 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

I'm having some electrical issues in my 85 GMC, was thinking

Customer Question

I'm having some electrical issues in my 85 GMC, was thinking about replacing the chassis wiring harness but unsure if I need to do the whole thing, it's pretty spendy. So wanted to know if there is an easy fix or if I'm way off on this.
Problem started when I had a friend do some work on my stero. Took out my cd play and I'm pretty sure a live wire touched metal. After that no power at all to stero, cig lighter, heater, dims are brights and brights are dim. Did replace fuses and nothing.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome -
My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise..
The first thing to check is the main ground circuit.. check from the battery - the NEG cable - along its length for any damage..burning.. and where it connects to the body..
Then check the cable that connects from the body - to the transmission/ engine..for the same.
Damage to either of those would cause what you have - and check the other , smaller ground wires too..
You can run in extra - replacement grounds to cover it - but check as above.
Its more likely to be a ground issue than live feed - in the loom - but with a short as you had, it doesn't take much to burn the cables... So check the groundings first - Only if you cannot find any issues there would I then go into checking the looms through -
Check the back of the ignition unit too - the electrical connector there - they are known to burn in these circumstances.
But one way or the other, you will find the fault this way.
Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..
~>>~~~ Meantime - Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. "Thank you" in advance for that .
.. Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out --
Best Rgds, MIKE.