Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 year experience.
10949255

GMC Yukon XL 1500: I was recently driving my 2003 Yukon XL

Customer Question

I was recently driving my 2003 Yukon XL Suburban and I lost all charging to the battery from the alternator. Engine died etc. We ordered a upgrade kit to take the amperage up on the alternator due to a winch. I rebuilt it and installed it last night. I started the engine with a full charge on the battery and it still is not charging the battery. The "Battery Not Charging" message popped up and it is showing that I am only at 7 volts. I do not know how to trouble shoot what could be causing the alternator not to charge as I just rebuilt it.
Category: GMC
Expert:  roybelding replied 1 year ago.
good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist what parts did you replace in the alternator???? Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
See attachment
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Roy are you there?
Expert:  roybelding replied 1 year ago.
yes, I am here, had to work today
Expert:  roybelding replied 1 year ago.
ok, the only thing you did not replace is the rotor assembly which is most likely your failure. it has the commutators and coils. Roy