Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 year experience.
10949255

GM Acadia: hey my wife heard a loud snapping sound then her

Customer Question

hey my wife heard a loud snapping sound then her service charging system light came on and it is very hard to steer. what could be the problem?
Category: GMC
Expert:  Gm Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, that sounds like the belt broke. I advise to stop driving ASAP. The engine can overheat then you would have bigger issues.
The belt drives the AC, Power steering pump, Water pump and charging system. So the combination of events you describe sound like the belt broke.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you think anything else could be damaged? she turned it off not to kill the battery
Its possible there is a idler or tensioner pulley damaged, but that may have caused the issue in the first place, or possibly the alternator, AC compressor or water pump failed, what you do is check the alignment of all these, turn them by hand and see how they feel. All should turn very smoothly. IF any are out of alignment, stiff or seized, replace that with the belt.