Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 year experience.
10949255

GM: cant find ac orfice tube 04 envoy. the ac clutch intermittant.

Customer Question

cant find ac orfice tube 04 envoy. the ac clutch intermittant. usually just stops working.
Category: GMC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I jumped the low pressure switch, and the compressor clutch still didn't come back on. when it works the AC is cold. I changed the relay. Evacuated the system and it holds vacuum well. Freon was right. Clutch is not locked up.
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. Welcome to our site. I've attached a graphic with the location of the orifice tube. Can you tell me what are your system pressures, both engine off/A/C off and engine running/A/C on? Especially helpful would be to know what the system pressures and vent temperstures are at the time the compressor shuts off. Best Regards.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when pulling a vacuum, shouldnt the high side pull down as well? only the low side pulled down and hi side stays at zero.
Yes it should; however, since vacuum readings can be affected by many things, they are not a good indication of system performance. We need to start with system pressures as I indicated in my previous post.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when I began the clutch came on and the low side pressure and hi side were maxed out on the gauge set. The compressor blew really cold and then clutch stopped. I thought since gauges were offf the charts that it was over charged from dealer but as I recovered freon the gauges recovered and the low side and hi side cycled once showing proper readings. then the clutch stopped.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just removed orfice tube, it was clear of obstruction. its holding a vacuum again.
I really want to help you, but in order to do that I need you to cooperate with me and provide me with the information I require. Is there anything preventing you from giving me the pressure readings I've asked you for?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yea, the ac isn't reading anything because compressor clutch isn't cycling. So there are no readings
OK. I understand not being able to turn the A/C on would prevent you from sharing those readings with me. But how about taking a static reading with the system fully charged and the engine turned OFF? How about letting me know what the current ambient temperature is?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm done here. This was a one time fee only correct?
I reviewed our interaction and came to the conclusion that it would not be possible for me to continue trying to help you. I'll opt out and leave the question open so other experts can chime in. Please do not reply until another expert responds or the site will revert the question back to me. Best Regards.