Pete, GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM training and dealer tech for 14+ years. Diagnostics
14928985

GM Lmm: I,m getting poo3a, po299 and p2563 codes, I have installed

Customer Question

I,m getting poo3a, po299 and p2563 codes, I have installed banks breaking system and last year installed upgraded turbo. I smoke(black) when going up steep grades and am sure I don,t have the power I should,. Truck goes into reduced eng power.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
If you have not had the fuel injectors tested this should be done.I have run into several of these fuel injectors failing to operate properly and will cause this type of fault here.If these were already checked and found o.k. let me know.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
New injectors were installed 90,000 miles ago. New cp3 pump also
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Even though they were replaced 90,000 miles ago this is around the time frame they start to fail again usually 90,000 to 150,000 miles they will fail.If you can I would have them re tested or checked to see if one or more are at fault again.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I,ve had injector problems before and the codes were different. Fuel pressure and filter codes would happen and I would go into limp mode and have to clear codes to get moving again. Now I get a reduced eng power warning but only occasionally maybe four times on an 8 hour trip.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
If you clear out all codes which one or ones come back first here?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry to confuse you here. The codes I was explaining were before I had the injectors replaced. Now the only code I am getting are poo3a,po299andp2563
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Code P003a indicates the turbo charger boost control position has not been learned.Circuit/System Description3 minutes and 32 seconds remaining on lock! Re-lock Un-lock
The engine control module (ECM) performs the turbocharger (TC) learn procedure automatically when the enabling criteria's have been met. After each ignition cycle, and before the enable criteria have been met, the ECM will use the previously learned value. If the ECM does not have a previously learn value, it will default to a stored calibrated value.
The ECM performs the self learn by commanding the TC vanes to 0 percent, then to 100 percent, while monitoring the TC vane position sensor.
The ECM utilizes a TC vane control solenoid and a TC vane position sensor to control the TC vanes. The ECM will vary the boost dependant upon the load requirements of the engine. The vane control solenoid has a high voltage control circuit and a low voltage control circuit. The ECM uses a pulse width modulation (PWM) on the high control and low control circuits to control the solenoid. The ECM will detect if the automatic TC learn has failed if the commanded vane position did not match the actual vane position by a calibrated threshold.
This can be a turbo charger vane position sensor fault as this is common needing replaced.
Code P0299 is turbo charger under boost.This can also be the turbo charger vane position sensor,turbo leak or turbo itself as the cause here.
Code P2563 indicates the turbo boost position sensor is out of range or poor performance.This can also be the vane position sensor at fault here.
I apologize as my code info showed fuel issues at first yesterday when I replied so you are right this is not a fuel injector issue here.This is either the turbo itself as the cause or possibly the vane position sensor.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Pete from Pete
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome.Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help above if you like.
Thanks Pete