Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 year experience.
10949255

I have a 1999 Oldsmobile 88, 3.8L, V6 and need to replace

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Oldsmobile 88, 3.8L, V6 and need to replace the ignition lock cylinder (located on the steering column.) I don't want to just hack away at this. I'm looking for step by step instructions and diagrams on removing and replacing the cylinder.
I watched a few YouTube videos for some clues but they always seem to leave out something. Any guidance, tips, or websites are greatly appreciated. Also, what kind of specialty tools would make this easier. Thanks
Category: GMC
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I will be happy to assist you today.
.
Does the key turn?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, the key turns but it's in a no start, no crank mode right now. I've replaced the starter, battery, and alt (had a bad bearing). I just can't get it to start.
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
I see, thanks. The lock cylinder is probably not the reason that it won't start. I can get the instructions for it but first, Can you see if there is power to the yellow wire in the C1 connector of the trans position switch when the key is turned?
.
Here is a picture of the connector, (on top of trans)
.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2vfkt54xgzf5wb1/TRS.gif?dl=0
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I can get that. Will take a few minutes. Where is the trans position switch located? I bought this car used and don't have any users guides to show where things are.
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
That is on the top of the trans, (under the EGR valve). Here is a diagram of the location. Also, is the security light on or flashing?
.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f0x57x8s6tic9ew/trans.gif?dl=0
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No security light, no instrumentation lights at all. The headlights, interior lights, radio, windows, and door locks work fine. but when the key is turned all the way over the console goes dead.
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
I see, thanks. That could be at the electrical part of the ignition switch. About half way down the column on the top. The switch could be bad or the wire is bad. Best to see how the voltage is at the trans position sensor to be sure. It is easier than getting to the switch to see if there is power out of it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, it might take some time for me to get you and answer, here by myself. So I should put a meter on the sensor then turn the key or turn the key to on position, then hook up the meter?
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
You could unplug the connector and then try to put the meter where you can see it from the driver's side and reach through the window and turn the key to start. Just see if there is 12v at the yellow wire, (black wire of the meter to ground) you may need to use a paper clip in the terminal though, the meters normally have fat tips on them, thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, i'll give it a try.
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I should be online most of the day, thanks