Chris (aka-Moose), GMC Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

GMC Sierra 1500 Classic SLT: I have a 2002 Sierra 1500 Extended

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Sierra 1500 Extended cab with the 5.3L and 4X4. The truck has just under 100,000 miles on it. @ 5 years ago the transmission started leaking. Took it to a mechanic who said the pump that distributes fluid to the transmission was vibrating against the casing and had "rubbed" a hole in the casing (my recollection of the terminology may be inaccurate).
Anyway, he said he replaced the pump with a new/updated one and "braced" it so it would not vibrate and cause the same problem (he said this "vibration issue" was a common problem with these transmissions.
Several times over the years since the repair, the transmission seemed to "clunk" into gear - typically when up or downshifting but otherwise it seemed to be working fine.
So I noticed a few weeks ago that there was some transmission fluid on the garage floor. Not a lot and I really don't know how long it had been there. I haven't driven the truck a lot since I noticed the transmission fluid and it doesn't seem to have had any leaking since. (The location of the leak on the floor was at the front of the transmission.)
Yesterday, I drove the truck @ 20 miles roundtrip and when I got home I heard a loud whirring/whining sound. Throughout the trip the transmission shifted very smoothly. I got out of the truck and noticed the sound and when I went over to see where it might be coming from, it sounded as though it was at the back of the transmission. Any thoughts? One other "dumb" question. Although it's a GM, would the local Chevy dealer work on it? I only ask because the nearest GM dealer is 60 miles away (one way) while the Chevy dealer is 25 miles one way.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry for the delay in getting a response to you. Sometimes we get alot of customers and just can not keep up. Sometimes you just have to wait for the correct tech to login.Do you even still need help. Sometimes customers seek help elsewhere or figure it out on their own before we get to each and everyone.I am sure I can help a lot or a little at least something if you give me a chance and work with me. I am going to get an answer to you regardless if you reply or not sooner or later.If your concern is urgent reply and let me know and if you have anything more you think will help me, to help you, let me know. I work on here normally 3pm-3am central. Thanks Chris
Yes the Chevy dealer can address this. I am unsure of the repair attempt he performed, rubbed hole in the case but replaced the pump and braced it. That does not make sense. I bet the converter is damaged or out of balance and is ruining the pump gears. You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.Thanks Chris