Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 year experience.
10949255

GMC ENVOY: 2004 GMC ENVOY, with 4.2l inline 6 cyl. engine.

Customer Question

2004 GMC ENVOY, with 4.2l inline 6 cyl. engine. engine was over-filled because the crazy dipstick is so hard to readbecause the dipstic is a cable with a yellow/brown color and it is hard to read with fresh oil change. Now, o[l leaks heavily from the oilpan and valve cover. Valve cover gasket replacement is no problem. OIL-PAN IS A "FITTERD PAN WITH NO GASKET. Qestion; CAN THE PAN BE DROPPED JUST A COUPLE INCHES OR MORE TO CLEAN AND POSSIBLY PUT A THIN RTV SEALANT IN THE MILLED GROOVE IN THE ENGINE BLOCK AND THEN, REINSTALL THE PAN without taking the starter and cross-member & etc' off first ????? THE ENVOY IS IN HOUSTON AND I LIVE EAST OF DALLAS. AND I DON'T WANT TO RISK TRYING TO DRIVE IT BACK HOME TO DIY THE JOB. I would like to fix it there if I can and drive it home I AM RETIRED AND AUTO REPAIR (EXTERNAL CAPABLE.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
I am very sorry for the long waitdo you have access to a lift or will you be working on the ground ?