Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GCM master tech over 25 years
19513769

Gmc yukon: My 2002 gmc Yukon is completely dead, I hooked up

Customer Question

My 2002 gmc Yukon is completely dead, I hooked up my battery charger and my charger has a start setting , when on start setting the dome lights come on and a popping sound comes out through the speakers even when radio is off , then everything goes dead again no lights nothing, I haven't tried to start it yet. Any idea what it could be ?
Category: GMC
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
I am very sorry for the long waitdo you have a multi meter on hand ?with the charger off the truck and it dead does the horn work ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have meter and the horn does not work
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you for that informationthe key to this problem is when its acting up and the horn will not even work narrows this right down to the under hood fuse box NOT getting battery powerthis is usually caused by bad battery cable connections at the battery or the big power wire from the battery that bolts to the under hood fuse box stud is bad or has a loose connection where it bolts to the under hood fuse boxthe best action to take with this truck is to remove both battery cables off the battery and sand them down with sand paper or a scotch pad then re connect them tight to the battery if it still is dead make sure the positive and negative battery cables where they connect to the engine and the under hood fuse box are clean and tightif that checks out the only other thing that is left is the battery has a bad cell or low amps in it or very low voltsi would remove the battery and have the local parts store test it ( they will for free ) the odds are the battery is just bad and replacing the battery should correct this issue you are havingagain to sum this up if even the horn will not work the issue is from the battery under the hood to the under hood fuse box
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why does it make popping type noises through the speakers ? My battery charger has a start mode, when on is the only time the car has dome lights horn and if makes the noise , then after a minute nothing again
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
usually when the voltage is wrong it will make those noisesgo the direction i said too and you will find this problembut it is a big power or ground issue or battery issues under the hood causing this issuelike i said when even the horn will not work its usually a bad cell in the battery or battery connection cable issues causing this problem