Amedee
Amedee, GMC Technician
Experience:  ASE Technician advanced level specialist
279429

GMC Sierra 1500: 2013 GMC Sierra. No crank, no start. Battery

Customer Question

2013 GMC Sierra. No crank, no start. Battery is charged. PRNDL illuminated but does not indicate gear. Tank is full but registers empty.
Category: GMC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
scan tool shows link error
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.
Did this all of sudden come up or was something done that may have brought this on?Have you done any diag so far?Is there power and ground at the data link connector? The current information is leaning most towards a PCM or BCM failure. You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The vehicle was recently in a wreck. We drove the vehicle into the shop (was still running at that point) and changed out the frame. Engine and transmission remained connected to the truck during the swap, but battery was disconnected. When we tried to start the vehicle, we had a no crank, no start condition. We jumped the starter solenoid to confirm the starter is still operational. We pulled the ground list from AllData and checked all the grounds. Load tested battery to ensure it is still up. Charged battery as necessary to make sure it remains charged. The issue seems consistent with a loss of communication with the ECM. The IPC lights up, but the gauges do not appear to be working. The PRNDL lights up, but does not indicate what gear the truck is in. The body man and his helper stated that the battery was disconnected any time they had the ECM or BCM disconnected. I suspect that all the issues stem from a single problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
DLC Pin 16 is hot. Pin 4 and pin 5 are grounded. DLC powers up the scan tool, but tool can not establish link.
Odometer does indicate mileage even though other gauges do not appear to work.
Fuel pump does not engage when ignition switch is turned on.
Now that I know more history on the vehicle, I just do not believe I can resolve this not in person. I am going to let another try if they feel they can.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. Thanks.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! Different expert here. I can assist you with this issue if you are willing to speak on the phone for an additional cost. If so, please reply back and let me know if your willing to do so and how much you think is a fair price so we can come to an agreement.Customer
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.