Pete, GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM training and dealer tech for 14+ years. Diagnostics
14928985

GMC Sierra 3500 HD SLT: My 1993 gmc 3500 6.5 diesel 4x4 every

Customer Question

My 1993 gmc 3500 6.5 diesel 4x4 every time that stops working for more than 10 to 15 minutes looses its prime and after starting right away it dies. I have to crank the starter for several seconds, sometimes like 30, to fill up the line with diesel and then starts ok and works properly, however, this condition has affected my starter and sometimes seems that it is not going to work anymore. What should I check?
Category: GMC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If when I start the truck I keep it for 15 to 20 secs above 3000 rpm regularly the truck does not die and then works ok.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
This sounds like a lack of fuel causing this issue here.In some cases this can be the filter/sock clogged up on the fuel pickup line in the fuel tank that can cause this.I have seen this filter/sock clog up like this before in the past and had to replace it.If you have not had this checked to see if this is the cause here this needs done.
Thanks Pete