Tims Auto Repair
Tims Auto Repair, GMC Mechanic
Experience:  have owned a repair shop for 25 years
14541291

GM acadia: Timing went out on our 2010 GMC Acadia. Mechanic

Customer Question

Timing went out on our 2010 GMC Acadia. Mechanic replaced the timing belt and all lines up but now it wont crank over. Any ideas as to why?
Category: GMC
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.
I am sorry your having this problem
did the old chain break or jump ?
right now the engine will physically crank over and just not fire up ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The old chain jumped. And now the enging will crank over and not fire up no matter how much we crank.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
and they are 100 % sure all the colored links on all 3 chains where aligned correctly before the front cover went back on ?
if so can you do a compression test on all 6 cylinders ?
the problem with these engines is when the timing chains jump or break the valve to piston timing is off and a lot of times it will bend the valves
if any of the cylinders are under 120 PSI there is bent valves
if all the cylinders are way under that PSI then they need to recheck the timing and be 100 % sure it is timed correctly if it is the valves are bent
if the timing is off have them re time it then test the compression again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All the colored links on all 3 chains were aligned. Checking on the compression test now. Will check in shortly. We did consider there could be bent valves but don't think so.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
its best to make sure the compression is good next to be sure
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Compression is over 120. Could it by happenstance be the direct injection fuel pump going bad?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
see if the engine will start up on starting fluid or carb cleaner
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The cylinders all have between 120 and 150 compression right now. He is going to do the carb cleaner start shortly. He said he tried it before but it did not work. Will check in here in a little.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gary. May I continue this tomorrow? If so, how do I go about it?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
you can just get me right back through this post
also if it will not run on carb cleaner or starting fluid we need to know if there are any codes set in the computer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gary, tried the carb cleaner but no start. Sounds like it wants to but wont. Could the fuel pump be an issue also?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
if it was a fuel issue it would run on the carb cleaner
you pulled and cleaned the spark plugs and it still will not start ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, we replaced the spark plugs to rule that out.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
lets see if any other experts have any ideas
hang on another expert will reply back to you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
code p0023 shows up
Expert:  Tims Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.
Hi,My name is Tim,
I will do my best to assist you
so,it does try to fire with starting fluid?
this gmc shouldnt give a p0023,it isnt relevant to this car,so,please double check the code #
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HI Tim. The colde number is ***** as of today. When we started this project there were some codes but when we took the motor out, we had to disconnect the battery and have subsequently lost all prior codes. It does try to fire with carb cleaner, yes.
ok
tell me,,does the secuity light stay on with the key on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The security light is on initially then goes out with the key on. Upon trying to start once again, it cranks but doesn't start and feels like the motor freezes up for a second or so.
ok
from the way you explain the way it freezes..to me,it sounds as if you have a chain out of time somewhere..i can give you the timing procedure if you want..it sounds as if it is out of time
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe it is aligned correctly but please feel free to give the timing procedure and perhaps the 3rd time trying will be the charm.
it does sound as if it is out,from the way you explain
PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX]
.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wj5s2rl7ao9ar9l/0605-gmc-Timing%20Chain%20Alignment%20Diagram.doc?dl=0
.
if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way
thanks
.
www.dropbox.com/s/wj5s2rl7ao9ar9l/0605-gmc-Timing%20Chain%20Alignment%20Diagram.doc?dl=0
.
If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will show this to my husband and get back to you regarding this. It may take a short while for him to verify he did it correctly. If it is indeed in time, then what else could the issue be?
i think it is out..
but,if not,the next stepwould be to check the fuel pressure
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi. After reviewing the timing document you provided, my husband informed me that he did this 2x just as shown on the diagram. Question you asked me is the fuel pressure at fuel rail has 45 lbs psi. Is it possible that a camshaft celinoid could be sticking thus making seem out of time? Also are there any camshaft sensors that could affect this as well? This is turning out to be a real headscratcher!

with the timing correct and the fuel pressure good..
he needs to now check for fuel injector pulse..the problem may be the crank sensor
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Checking on that now. Oh my. Hope it is the crankshaft sensor!

also..make sure that the security light does go off after a few seconds when you turn on the ignition,,
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

HI, Tim. Security light does go out after a few seconds. Just replaced the crankshaft sensor and it won't start. It tries but won't.

ok
please stand by..we will see if one of the other guys has an idea of your problem..
someone willbe right with you
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

HI, Tim. Have you found anyone yet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Have not heard from anyone since our last contact at 1:34 est yesterday. Is no one available to help?