Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GCM master tech over 25 years
19513769

1989 chevy 454 fuel injected engine. when I bought it it would

Customer Question

1989 chevy 454 fuel injected engine. when I bought it it would start and run rough. found it was running on one injector. took out and cleaned. Ran good except was hard to start when cold. But once it warmed up it ran great. Anyway, started running roug again but I thought it was because I was out of fuel. put in 5 gals. Can hear pump working and can see gas spraying from injectors. But now it wont start and back fires with flames from the throttle body. eplaced map and iac moter, still wont start. Acts like its out of timing, but ran fine justa few days ago.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.
I am sorry for the long wait
will it kick back like the timing is off ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did move the distributor both directions just a little to see if it helped . One way made it backfire worse the other direction it just cranked but no indication of wanting to start .
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
can you pull the cap and put the engine up on TDC and is the rotor tip pointing at where the # ***** wire tower on the distributor cap ?
is there any side to side ply felt inside the distributor ? did the rotor break or is it loose ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
did pull up to TDC. checked rotor and cap. no cracks or breaks or scoring. The rotor is pointing to the number one plug tower. Ws told it might be a pick up coil. any thoughts there?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
at this point the issue is the pick up or the module
since its up on DC and the rotor is correct pointing at # ***** tower the timing chain should be good and should not have jumped
i would pick up a reman complete distributor and swap it out complete as they come with both a new pick up and module
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks I'll try that. And then gas and a match. Lol
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
installed the reman. distrib. Pulled up on TDC and checked to see if distrib. was in right position. Tried firing it. No more back fire, but acts like its flooding. Pulled # ***** plug and it was dripping wet. Whats your next suggestion. Decidied against the gas and mathch.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
clean the plugs or replace them yet ?