Chris (aka-Moose), GMC Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

GM CTS: Have a 2005 cts 3.6L. The timing chain has failed twice

Customer Question

Have a 2005 cts 3.6L. The timing chain has failed twice in the 105,000 miles With good oil changed less than 5,000 miles between intervals. Car has never been driven hard or oil starved. I replaced the original with OEM parts from the dealership 15,000 miles ago. Every timing component: guides, tensioners, Sprockets, gears, gaskets etc... Every component was replaced excluding the oil pump. Am going to replace again with remaned heads and would like to know if there is a better recommendation for timing gears and chain other than the dealership??? Dont wan t to destroy the new heads. Keep reading awful stories of failed cloyes chains only lasting 10 - 100 thousand miles. Any personal experience, opinions, or feedback would be great
Category: GMC
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for seeking us for help.

The best timing drive components are going to be OEM. You need to find out why the chain is failing. Normally its from slack and flopping from oil pressure to the tensioner to low, either from a failing pump or oil passage way restrictions reducing the pressure and flow. I would for sure replace the pump and use chemicals to clean out the oil ports.

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Thanks Chris