Chris (aka-Moose), GMC Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

GMC Sierra 2500 HD Classic SLT: ive got a 2003 gmc sierra 2500hd

Customer Question

ive got a 2003 gmc sierra 2500hd with the 6.6l turbo diesel I recently had a new transmission installed and had the das cluster sent off and repaired all at one time. Before I Sent it off the truck would start right up with nbo problems. Now that I got it out of the shop it will not start it will turn over but not start. it is throwing code: P1636 Anti-Theft device pcm/ipc password. I was able to disconnect the batteries and do a factory reset and it started right up. once I cut the truck off it threw the code again and now its doing the same thing! any ideas?
Category: GMC
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for seeking us for help.
I am sorry for the delay in getting a response to you. Sometimes we get alot of customers and just can not keep up. Sometimes you just have to wait for the correct tech to login.
Do you even still need help. Sometimes customers seek help elsewhere or figure it out on their own before we get to each and everyone.
I am sure I can help a lot or a little at least something if you give me a chance and work with me. I am going to get an answer to you regardless if you reply or not sooner or later.
If your concern is urgent reply and let me know and if you have anything more you think will help me, to help you, let me know. I work on here normally 3pm-3am central.
Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes sir I i would still need some expert help!
Hi
This vehicle can not store a P1636 code. They may of programmed your cluster wrong. You can verify that this code is not available for this model below in the file you open. Also can you try the 30 minute programming steps in the same file.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/03sierratheft.pdf
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry code p1631
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/03gmc1631.pdf
Above are the direction to follow when you have this code.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay so would i be best to take it to the dealership or someone that has a better/high dollar computer that can allow the computer to re learn the password ***** none of the other steps worked
If the 30 minute reset did not work then yes a diagnostic tool with this capability is needed, from the shop like an independent or dealer.