Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GMC N.A.I.S.E. Certified Auto-Mechanic
20625509

GMC Yukon Denali: I cannot get my 2002 GMC Yukon Denali to

Customer Question

I cannot get my 2002 GMC Yukon Denali to crank or turn over all of a sudden it has a brand new starter and I just change the ignition switch what is going on where do I look what do i do I've checked all the fuses and they are all good as well.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
You said you can hear the starter? What noise is it making?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well no not the starter button on the top of the motor going to plastic flange or cover that covers the motor which would normally be on an old motor where the carburetor is...first initially turn the key not to the accessory position not to be on foot to the start it clicks like just one click like a little motor sounding last for maybe a second and thence done and then doesn't do it again until you turn off
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
I think what you are hearing is the fuel pump run.
Do this, turn the key to run, listen for the fuel pump to kickon and run for about 2 seconds, then after the fuel pump stops running, then turn the key to start and tell me what noise you hear now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hear absolutely nothing after that a first initial noise of the fuel pump engaging
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Is this an automatic or manual transmission?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Auto
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Try this, hold the key on start while moving the shifter from park, all the way to low and back. At any spot does the starter engage?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No...?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, now I want you to test each of these 3 fuses with either a voltmeter or 12 volt test light, and test both sides of each fuse.
The fuses are, the IGN A and IGN C fuses both in the underhood fuse block. Both should be hot all the time. Then with the key on start, test both sides of the crank fuse located in the left I/P fuse block.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Here is the wiring diagram,
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
If the fuses all check ok on both sides, remove the starter relay and test the prongs in the socket for voltage. One should have voltage all the time, that comes from that IGN A fuse. Then an additional should be hot when the key is turned to start. That comes from them other 2 fuses and the ignition switch.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
It's getting late now. I am going to bed now. Let me know how it goes. I'll look at your reply in the morning or maybe closer to noon. I usually cannot fall asleep right away and sleep till 11 am.
I think though, that is about as much as I can tell you though. I think you will figure it out, whether or not it's a fuse or that relay.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All of the fuses are good and I even tryed switching the the ign. Fuses... still nothing.. and being that this was immediate could it be my fuel pump as a neighbor suggested? I say no but what do u think?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
no it's not the fuel pump. you need to test the fuses like i said, unless you just want to replace the relay
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay I will check back tomorrow I have to be up for work at 2 a.m. and will be home around 2 p.m. and will check it as soon as I get home. I may even stop and buy a relay just to have in case. I will send you a message as soon as I can get home And will check that first thing
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
ok
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
You said you were going to get back to me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well as a matter of fact I just now located I believe what would be the problem... And that would be something that I'm so embarrassed to even tell you because it's so simple its pathetic. when we first were looking at this after we change a starter I had a mechanic friend of mine looking stuff over with me and he was looking at my fuses and he said all the fuses are good... When in fact he was wrong there is a 40 amp ignition fuse that is blown so I'm sure that will be the cause of it I will know more when I get the chance to get the part tomorrow they're closed today at this time.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
yep, that is probably it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes I cannot figure out where to chase the problem to visit now popping my 40 amp fuse ignition fuse every time I turn the key to start it
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Remove the starter relay and turn the key to start and see if the fuse still blows now. If not, replace the starter relay and put the fuse back in and try that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok I took out the starter relay put in a new fuse and turned ignition and it did not blow the fuse so does that mean something
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Yeah, it means the starter relay circuit is drawing too many amps and blowing the fuse. Did you try a new starter relay like I asked?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, could I be grounding out somewhere
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
If you had tried a new starter relay, now why wouldn't you mention it?
I had a follow up but you have to tell me everything specifically. Ok, now, try a new starter solenoid. When you say the 40a IGN fuse you do mean the IGN A fuse, correct, not just a 40a fuse in the IGN C spot?
Wait 1 minute. Isn't this a brand new starter?
Yes, I see that mentioned. Ok, perhaps it's the wiring then like you said. Disconnect the purple wire at the starter solenoid and with the relay in see if the fuse blows now.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
If you don't feel like having a handful of 40a fuses in your pocket, you could just remove the fuse and hookup an ammeter on the like dc amp scale. That way you won't have to keep replacing fuses, plus the ammeter would tell you exactly how many amps it is going through that circuit.