Dave Nova
Dave Nova, GMC Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

GMC Yukon Denali: , I have a 2000 GMC Yukon Denali. It is

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2000 GMC Yukon Denali. It is an OBS 5.7L. I'm fairly certain that the ignition switch has gone out from prior research; last summer the truck randomly started flashing lights, turning the radio on and off, and honking the horn. By itself. After that quick the remote clicker, dome lights, and power locks quit working. As of this morning the power accessories that do work (radio, wipers, windows) will work with the key out of the ignition and the door open. Is this because of the ignition switch and how hard is that sucker to change out? Any idea what part I should get from O'reilly's?
Category: GMC
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for trusting me with your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your GMC problem.
The problem is in the body control module (BCM). The 1999 and 2000 model Denali and Escalade have the power accessories (windows, wipers and radio) as well as door locks and lighting controlled by the BCM. This is the part that you need to replace. It is located under the center console. Best price I have found on this part is through rockauto.com Copy and paste the link below for the part.
https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1361427&parttype=2888&a=www.google.com%2BSearch%2Bfor%2B2000%2BCADILLAC%2BESCALADE%2B5.7L%2BV8%2BElectrical%2BBody%2BControl%2BModule%2B%2528BCM%2529&blanktemplate=true
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your quick response Dave, will that fix the everything I mentioned above? Also, if I swap this thing out will I be able to drive it to the dealer (I'm guessing this is who will have to program the BCM)?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 2 years ago.
Replacing the BCM should fix all of these symptoms. The replacement will have to be programmed by the dealer. Swap out the part and see if the engine starts, if it does then you can drive it to the dealer. If not, drive to dealer with old BCM plugged in, plug in new part at the dealer for programming, then finish reinstalling the console afterward.