JFN1
JFN1, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM Master Technician
25345654

GM Yukon: I have a 2009 Yukon. The motorized running boards

Customer Question

I have a 2009 Yukon. The motorized running boards have not worked in a while. They would only go up and down if someone outside the vehicle "helped" them. I left them down over winter. I now took them off and the hinges are essentially frozen. I can only get the hinges to move if I hit with a mallet. My dealer said the combination of stainless pins and aluminum caused aluminum corrosion and freezes the hinges after a while. But they did not know how to take apart...only to replace. That is way too much money!
The hinge pins are flat on one side and have a dimple on the other. Is there a way I can drift out these hinge pins then clean parts and reassemble to get e few more years out of them? It seems like the motors want to work but are meetin way to much resistance due to the frozen hinges.
Category: GMC
Expert:  JFN1 replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. I understand your concern. There isn't a way to get these hinges apart without being destructive, and then of course it won't go back together. I have loosened these up with heat before. Using a torch, carefully apply heat without damaging the metal. If the metal starts to liquify, it's gotten too hot, so you have to watch it carefully. Get it good and hot, then quench it with a product called AeroKroil. This product has the ability to wick into the tightest hinge pins and loosen them up, I've never found anything else that works as well. If you can't find that product (it's hard to find), PB Blaster is my second choice. When you quench it, the hinge will draw the lubricant in. With patience and persistence, they will loosen up and you can restore function.