Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master, 30+ years exp. former shop owner/ manager
2947720

GMC Acadia: 2009 GMC Acadia SLE - clanking from left rear wheel

Customer Question

2009 GMC Acadia SLE - clanking from left rear wheel at low speeds.
No codes or lights, although stabilitrack lights have come on twice a couple months apart and turns off when vehicle is turned off. Have towed up to 3000 lbs with no issues.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I will be happy to assist you today.
.
Is it the all wheel drive?
.
Also, do you hear it while going over bumps or just when driving on flat surfaces?
.
Does it clank over bumps?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

FWD. I hear it on flat surfaces and at low speeds. The wheel brakes and turns true, no wobbling, and I feel nothing when it clanks. If I try to sense anything when it clanks by putting my foot on the brake pad, on the floor, I feel nothing. I can try to shoot a quick video if you like?

Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
Yes, that would help a lot. Also see if it stops if you ride the brake slightly for a few seconds. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'll shoot the vid. Nope, pressing brakes, accelerating does nothing to eliminate the noise or even change the nature/frequencies of the noise.

Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Attachment: 2015-05-06_191959_video00034.wmv

http://f01.justanswer.com.s3.amazonaws.com/JACUSTOMERb9vu39pj/2015-05-06_191959_video00034.wmv

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It doesn't make the clanking noise all with every turn of the wheel or any other pattern. It simply clanks at random times.

However, it always makes the other noise, as if the tires are poorly worn in waves, and makes a sound like driving on ribbed pavement. However, the tires are smooth and worn evenly, and the pavement is normal smooth pavement.

I have another video which captures the other noise a little better. Let me know if I should send it.

Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Joel. That sounds like part of the parking brake assembly, (possibly shoes) became loose. I have had some in the past where the hold down spring clips let go and the shoe would wiggle around in there.
.
You will want to check the shoes and all the hardware for the parking brake. Definitely adjust them if needed, (the actuator or adjuster may be flopping around in there if they are way out of adjustment)
.
Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here.
.
Thanks and come again, anytime.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I will check the brakes. The sound comes from behind the tire, not inside the RIM, but we'll see. Thanks.

Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
There isn't much else in there beside the bearings and that would make the noise at higher speeds as well.
.
Just let me know before you rate the answer(s), thanks
.
*******YOU CAN ALWAYS GET A REFUND WITHOUT RATING THE ANSWER AS BAD OR THE SERVICE AS POOR ********
.