K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Technician AA in automotive technology. 15+ years in the automotive field
68360881

GM: big bob iam del having trouble pullin the starterout

Customer Question

hi big bob iam del having trouble pullin the starterout of the housing on a 95 gmc sonoma 6cly autmatic 2wd it seem to be hittin on the A frame when i try to slide it forward out of the trann
Category: GMC
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
Hello, you'll need to drop the exhaust pipe to have enough room to pull it out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

any other suggestions on this problem you should be aware that this is a vehicle that is 20yrs old with 263k miles on it and i think that if i try to remove the exhaust down pipe I am taking the risk of breaking the rusted bolts holding the pipe to the manifold flange even though i know how to use sea foam penetrating oil before removal you want to give this another try please and help out with this situation Del

Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
I understand the situation with the studs breaking on the exhaust, unfortunately the crossover pipe does have to come out to have enough room to wiggle the starter out. Changing the starter on these trucks is about the only thing that's a pain to do on these trucks. Over the years I've found a 50/50 mix of acetone and transmission fluid to be the best lubricating penetrant to use on the manifold bolts. I wish I had an easier method to tell you to remove the starter but removing the pipe is it. I'll post a link to the factory service info below. Copy and paste it in your web browser to view.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/103900598/s15%20starter.pdf