Pete, GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM training and dealer tech for 14+ years. Diagnostics

GMC Envoy SLT: 2008 envoy service stabilitrak issues when driving

2008 envoy service stabilitrak issues when driving in 4 wheel auto
Category: GMC
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.I may need more info in some cases to help with answering your question.

Has the dealer drove the vehicle with their scan tool connected to view abs wheel speed sensor data at all?

Is or has the abs light come on with this fault or do you know if they had located any fault codes set in any of the computers at all?

Let me know,thanks Pete.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

they did not locate any fault codes and that's why they said it was okay, I did not pick the car up, but returned this morning to talk with service mgr - after driving the vehicle for 5 to 7 miles, he definitely agreed something was going on - I am not certain they checked the abs speed sensor data - sounded like they just ran a general diagnotice test

although theXXXXXauto is recommended for variable road conditions - you can use it on dry pavement and it should not be making a grinding and clunking noise at low speeds - can the stabilitrak system

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
You can use the 4 auto on dry pavement but it isn't recommended unless you are on a slippery type of surface or even rain.Even in auto the 4wd should not engage or make any noises when the road is dry.If it is then this may be a sign of an internal mechanical fault in the transfer case assembly or possibly even a fault with the transfer case electrical shift motor failing.This would need to be checked into/tested to see if one of these are at fault.

One thing that can cause this issue here is a faulty wheel speed sensor.This vehicle has 4 of these one for each wheel attached at the wheel hub/bearing assembly.If one of these are reading incorrectly it can cause the message you see here and is most common.I would ask the dealer to drive the vehicle monitoring the wheel speed sensor signals to see if one is reading incorrectly.If they do find one that is incorrect then it most likely needs replaced.

It is difficult to say for sure from here the exact component at fault but from what is described these are most common needing checked into/tested to locate and correct the fault.

I hope this info has helped,if you need anything else let me know before rating my help here,thanks Pete.
Pete, GMC Mechanic
Experience: GM training and dealer tech for 14+ years. Diagnostics
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,