Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 year experience.

GMC Envoy XL SLE: 2004 GMC Envoy rear hatch wont unlock, hatch

2004 GMC Envoy rear hatch won't unlock, hatch brake light does not work and rear window wiper does not work. While it was in for inspection they told me the hatch brake light was out and needed replacement as a unit. They did not have the part at the time. Did they unplug something or were they wrong in their diagnosis of the problem.

Gm Tech (Cam) :

Hello, I'm Cam.

Gm Tech (Cam) :

This is not an XUV is it?

let me check on the right model ok

Gm Tech (Cam) :

Sure thing.

Envoy XL

Gm Tech (Cam) :

OK, is the hatch unlocked that you can get into it?

unfortunately no

Gm Tech (Cam) :

OK, so the wiring sounds like it is broken in the boot that runs to the body, so we need to take the trim off with the door closed by climbing into the back. Are you able to do this?

yes will do

Gm Tech (Cam) :

OK, then do you have a test light as well to do some testing?

Gm Tech (Cam) :

Still with me?

was able to pop the latch and I have the hatch open now

OK, can you check the wiring in the boot that runs to the body from the door at the top CHris?

Also you are now stuck in chat and I am outside of that so I need to to refresh your screen,. If you cannot then I need to trick the system by opting out. I am not opting out to leave you hanging, I will still be here to answer you.

PLease reply to me here. I am not opting out of you, so if other experts are reading this, please leave it for me.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

theres a connector just inside the hatch is this what you want checked

Not exactly, you see the rubber that runs from the body to the top of the hatch? the wires that run inside there, that is what I would like you to check.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

LEt me know what you find.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

cracked insulation on a red wire

How thick is the red wire?
I need you to reply on this thread Chris.
how thick is the red wire?

How about the fuse for the LGM, is that one popped in the rear underseat fuse block?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

checked 3 and 19 still intact

Pull on the wires then. I am suspeecting you may find one that stretches and would indicate a break in the wire inside.
If not then lets do some testing at the module, did you have the test light?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes i do

Ok, at the lift gate module you have 2 orange wires and a black, all in the same connector. Connect the clip of the test light to the black and test to the orange wires. Is there a bright light on each?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK, this is sounding then like the liftgate module is faulty. This controls all the features you have listed. I suspect you will need to replace it to correct this issue.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

where is the liftgate module

It is the black box in the hatch.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. Please rate my answer 3-5 and feel free to ask any follow up questions regarding this issue you may have.