Dave Nova
Dave Nova, GMC Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

my 2002 gmc envoy - I have a problem with the radio - no sound

my 2002 gmc envoy - I have a problem with the radio - no sound coming from speakers. I had ignition switch changed out and it worked for a while now is it out again. It appears to be playing and if you load a cd it will change to the cd etc. but no sound. I plugged headphones into the back console and I get sound. So it isn't the radio or it wouldn't play there. I saw somewhere to take out fuses 41 and 11 and leave them out to reset and I tried that it dosen't work. My outside temp says its 50 at all times and trust me in SC in June it is not 50. I think there is a problem in the middle console behind radio- no one will believe me they all say get new radio. I just think that is a waste of time and money - any ideas.
Category: GMC
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for trusting me with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your GMC problem.

Do you have the Bose audio system? Should say Bose on the front speaker grilles if you do.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes it is the bose
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for the delay. The Bose system uses an amplifier to boost the sound output before the speakers. Your amplifier is likely bad. Obviously there is output from the radio since the rear headphones work, as you already noted.

First, check the Amplifier fuse in the rear fuse panel. This fuse panel is under the rear seat (2nd row) on drivers side. Should be fuse #11. If the fuse is okay then the amplifier is going to need to be replaced. The amplifier is located in the passenger rear, behind the plastic side panel.

graphic

The problem with your temperature readout being incorrect is likely due to a failed ambient temperature sensor. This sensor is located in the fan shroud, behind the front grille.

graphic

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you.

Thank you,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you that is the first answer that has made sense. I will replace the amplifier and let you know how it turns out. Can't say if I am satisfied though until its replaced.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the response. I know I haven't looked at the vehicle, but from the symptoms you have I can just about guarantee that the amplifier will fix your problem. Please keep me posted as to your progress and if you need any more help, let me know.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I looked up the price for the amp and I can't afford that it is almost 600.00 is there any cheaper way to resolve this problem. This car has 175000.00 and it is crazy to put that much into one part. Can I put in an after marker stereo and use existing speakers or will that still require the amp to be replaced and can it be replaced with a cheaper one.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 2 years ago.
You can install an aftermarket stereo and use the existing speakers. The amplifier can be bypassed if using an aftermarket radio, it is not required that you have an amplifier in the system. If you go this route, you will need to run new speaker wires from the new radio to the amplifier output connector to power the speakers, or you could run wires directly from the radio to the speakers, whichever you think is easier. Another option you may want to check into is a used Bose amplifier from a salvage yard or Ebay.
Dave Nova, GMC Technician
Experience: ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Wasn't really the answer I wanted but it rarely is these days; however your service was excellent.