Dave Nova
Dave Nova, GMC Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

GMC Envoy: How do you repair a speedometer that has stopped

How do you repair a speedometer that has stopped working on a GMC Envoy 2005?
Hello and thank you for trusting me with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your GMC problem.

Is the check engine light on while driving? Does the transmission still shift normally?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Everything work fine except I can't tell how fast i am driving because the speedometer meter is dead.
The failure is then going to be in the speedometer stepper motor itself then. The stepper motor is what moves the gauge needle. There are companies that can fix your gauge cluster for around $125, click here. Or you can attempt this repair yourself. Replacement stepper motors are around $10 each on ebay. For a writeup on how to do this repair, click here.
If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "helped a little" or "I expected more", please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you.

Thank you,