jazzmaster, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  I have been in the automotive industry for over 35 yrs

GMC Envoy SLT: what will cause an engine light code P0506?

what will cause an engine light code P0506?
Category: GMC
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 4 years ago.

hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help you .

This P0506 code is one that's sometimes triggered on vehicles that have electronic throttle control. That is, they don't have a regular throttle cable from the accelerator pedal to the engine. They rely on sensors and electronics to control the throttle. In this case, the P0506 DTC (diagnostic trouble code) is triggered when the PCM (powertrain control module) detects an engine idle speed that is lower than the desired (pre-programmed) RPM.

P0506 DTC trouble code may be caused by one or more of the following:

• A vacuum leak
  • An air restriction in the intake air path or exhuast
  • A faulty positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) valve
  • Damaged/failed/dirty throttle body
  • Internal engine problem
  • Failed PCM
  • This DTC is more of an informational code, so if there are any other codes set, diagnose them first. If there are no other codes, inspect for vacuum leaks, restrictions, and damage. If there are no symptoms other than the DTC itself, just clear the code and see whether it returns
  • I have found most times that the throttle body has dirt or sludge build up and removing it and giving it a good cleaning may help it ...jazzmaster..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Dealer reccomended fuel injection system cleaning, would that cause the DTC and would that include cleaning the throttle body? Should they also check for the other reasons for trouble code at the same time?

yeah, it should includ cleaning out the throttle body as well, I would make a point of pointing that out so that it is done ,a fuel injection cleaning will clean it out (throttlebody) mostly but you want to get right at the throttlebody with a spray ,.

that should be included as this is usally a 3 step system cleaning .

1.hooking up to the fuel injection system and power flushing/cleaning the fuel system including the intake and fuel injectors out the throttlebody by spraying the throttle body

3.additive to the fuel tank

yes, it would be good to check the pcv system and check it for vacuum leaks as well ..jazzmaster...

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Have appointment scheduled with dealer tomorrow (friday 5/11). Will advise...........

ok, thank you for asking a question at JA......jazzmaster...